Because I don’t love crowds, I don’t spend a ton of time hanging out at race expos but I have found some fun things over the last couple of years.
- At the Princess Half Marathon Expo in February 2014, I got to meet Sarah of the fabulous Another Mother Runner duo which was a nice highlight! She signed my copy of Train Like a Mother and gave great tips for my first half marathon!
- At the Star Wars Rebel Challenge Expo, there were several fun things! I got a super cute “Let the Wookie Win” shirt and the Rebel Challenge logo jacket. That jacket ended up being a great investment as I wear it often as the top layer for my winter runs.
- The Rebel Challenge expo also included CPR training, which I thought was such a GREAT idea! This should be part of every expo!
- The Disney expos always include a fun Instagram photo opportunity, which gives you the chance for some fun, free race photos.
- At the Des Moines race expo, Oliver got his favorite expo goodie ever: a cow bell. What kid doesn’t like a free, super noisy toy? 🙂
Expos can also be a great place to try lots of different flavors of Gus and other gels or fueling options. This is how I learned I do NOT like fruit flavored Gu. Ick. It can also be a place to actually get your hands on lots of running goodies if you don’t live in a town with a dedicated running store.
One thing I’ve pondered recently is the possibility of buying gels when I got to the Expo rather than traveling with them and risking a) an overzealous TSA agent confiscating them for violating the carry on liquid rules or b) gels exploding in my bag. It’s not like there isn’t a wide variety of Gu at most expos, but I haven’t been willing to take the risk yet that they wouldn’t have my favorites.
What’s your favorite race Expo find?