T minus 3 days to race day!
Race day will be here in a blink! Today is a professionally stressful day (huge project being reviewed) so I’m in a huge bundle of nerves and making lists settles my nerves. It seems like a perfect time to make a race packing list and frankly, seriously overdue! I’ve usually got my packing list done a month before a trip and have started physically packing a couple of weeks before, even for little hops.
This is just an overnight trip to Des Moines, which is only a two hour drive away. It’s made both more and less complicated by the fact that I’m going alone without Darrell and Oliver. Less complicated in that I don’t have to worry about bringing kid stuff, but more complicated in that I’ll be making that two hour drive home by myself after the race. It may be hard to get out of the car thanks to stiff muscles!!
The drive home alone has definitely flavored my fledgling packing list. I divide my list into three bigs groups: Things I need before the race, Things I need during the race and Things I need AFTER the race.
Before the race:
– Water bottle (huge!) and Nuun to maximize hydration pre-race
– The Stick, to work out any list minute kinks
– Hotel reservation info and my race registration info, so there are no glitches at packet pick up
– Clothes & shoes & socks & sports bra: Seems obvious, but since I’ll be too far away from home to easily grab something I forget, I actually write these key things on the list.
– Gu for the race (including extra in case I drop one)
– Handheld water bottle & more Nuun
– iPhone / shuffle: I haven’t decided which I’m going to use for music, but I always have my iPhone just in case.
– Hat & Sunscreen: Those weren’t previously on the list, but need to be now thanks to the lupus
(Check out this list from Another Mother Runner – I love that they also want you to pack confidence and belief in yourself!)
Anybody else find making a list soothing? It definitely helps my mental monkeys!